Search

Monday, March 14, 2011

CAUCHEMAR*



Sunday, the 13th of October 1991 is deeply etched in my memory, ever to haunt me, ever to dim my eyes, ever to make me pensive. I can never forget that day because of what had befallen me.
The previous day it was bright and sunny, as I set out for Ponmudi with my newfound Australian friends- Adam & Anne whom I had met only two days ago. I was happy sitting beside them and sharing this joyous trip, for Adam and Anne were infectiously happy and full of laughter. As the bus proceeded towards our destination, I noticed with pleasant surprise that a cool breeze had taken over the moist heat of Trivandrum, and rubber trees and had taken the place of banana and coconut trees.
The mist swept towards us gliding over the rugged slopes before enveloping the three of us and passed on. The quiet strength of Ponmudi amplified the awesome power of nature. We reached the guesthouse, but were told that there is no room. Eventually management found us one room, which looking back reaffirms my belief that I was destined to witness the tragedy next day. Later, the light rain that drizzled cleared as we retired late that night. The weather was perfect, cool and held a promise for a great morning to follow
The dawn of 13th October 1991-Sunday, I remember, was very chilling. The Morning warmed us as we walked past the buildings by the roadside and over a bridge. Sunlight played on the water below as it gyrated over the rocks on its way downstream.
A small bus pulled into a clearing near the bridge and out descended my friends in the college who seeing me started shouting at the top of their voices, a nickname by which I was known in the college. I was happy on this coincidence and decided to join them. Adam waited a short way from the bus by a stream, which crossed the track, as it bubbled and gurgled through the rocks, which lay in its bed, and for us, young enthusiasts, it took no time before we crossed to the other side.
The trek towards Meenmuty was very exciting. The warm sun filtered through the vegetation and drew sweat from our bodies. The river to our left was cool and inviting, and a rest by the river we all agreed, was not unwelcome. Everyone was happy-and naturally so-considering the warm sunshine, the feeling of being together and the newly found, although, temporary, respite from the monotonous college hours.
We proceed on and came out of the vegetation to witness a spectacular waterfall feeding a deep green pool of water, which enveloped my body as I swam. My energy renewed it as pulled my self through the water, refreshed and content in this little part of paradise, in its rich share of beauty. After lunch, the clouds rolled over the sun and broke, pouring water on to our already wet bodies. And till date I have memories of the warmth we shared, the laughter we had.
I stood a long time on the riverbed savouring life. Crash! A tree on the other bank splashed loudly onto the water. It was truly spectacular sight to see it fall. But now looking back, it must have been a prelude to more unfortunate events destined to unfold.
To be continued..
Courtesy: Dr. Adam J Hodgkins
* Nightmare
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/

2 comments:

  1. Bishi keeps us in suspense. I know the story well nut the itty bitty details of life that one does not savior enough is what life is really about. Tayt Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was a nightmare.The tragic news came to our college late in the evening that day.Still remember the grave face of some of the unfortunate parents who were not sure whether their kins are alive or not. Bishi indeed was Savior to many in the group. May their soul rest in peace

    ReplyDelete